THE WINTER OF OUR DISCONTENT, BY JOHN STEINBECK***FIRST EDITION***
John Steinbeck's last novel, published in 1961
- Lot # 005
- System ID # 6520318
- End Date
- Start Date
Per fedpo.com, the first edition criteria & points for this title are:
- Year Published: 1961
- Author Last Name: Steinbeck
- Author First Name: John
- Publisher: Viking
- Original Price: $4.50
- Pages: 311
"The true first is a signed edition limited to 500 copies specially printed and bound for friends of the author and publishers - as stated on a special leaf in the book.
Listed is the first trade edition. First published in 1961 stated on the copyright page with no statement of other printings. Solid blue cloth boards with blue top stain, page edges evenly trimmed, and no deboss on rear boards by the spine. Back of jacket has photo of Steinbeck with blurbs by Saul Bellow, Edward Weeks, and Lewis Gannet above the photo."
The portion of the above quote from the fepco website which is emphasized in red for the purpose of this listing, accurately describes the book offered in this auction.
- The book is in very good overall condition.
- The book cracks open to the title page, but all pages are secure.
- There is a stain on the fore edge.
- The top edge is blue stained as described in first edition points, but it may be difficult to tell from the photos, as the blue has somewhat faded with age.
- The jacket is fragile, with tears and missing pieces, and has previously been reinforced with scotch tape.
- Dust jacket is now protected with a Brodart cover.
- Previous owner's name is written on first free end paper.
- This is not a book club edition.